minstrel: Wire string problems/ Real double strung harps

Tracie Brown peerlady at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:54:36 PST 2001

    This string arrangement is neither typical nor desirable.  Nor is it
"double-strung".  Once you find a source for wire, get enough to convert to
"one-string, one-note". (And enough for those inevitable broken strings.)
This particular stringing system is a relic of the 1970s, when a book on
making folk instruments borrowed the idea from hammered dulcimers, without
recognising the difference between the instruments.  There is at least one
company I know who used (and may still use, if still in business) this
arrangement to "save money", though the money "saved" amounts to pennies,
perhaps only fractions of pennies. This company's harps had numerous other
design, technical and workmanship flaws.  Unfortunately, they sold at SCA
events, minor renn faires and sf conventions.

     As you noted, when you tune one string, you tune (or untune) two
strings, which means you cannot tune to different keys, since when you sharp
an F, you automatically sharp the adjacent E or G.

    Double (or triple) strung refers to the number of courses or rows of
strings.  A double strung harp may have two complete parallel rows of
strings, two complete crossed rows, a complete and a partial crossed row
(comparable to the white and the black keys of a piano) or one complete and
two partial parallel rows.  An "arpa doppia" has three, not two parallel
rows, two complete and one partial in the middle.  The Welsh triple harp is
a descendant of the Italian (16-17c) arpa doppia. There may be some other
arrangements out there, but these are the most common.

   The wire pluckers on this list probably have better information than I do
on where to find wire and how best to install them.  Good luck.

-- Signy