minstrel: Wire strings?

Pat Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Wed Dec 5 09:14:20 PST 2001

Oh!  Beg pardon.  I thought you meant strung in two courses of strings side
by side.  There are double-strung harps in both wire and nylon; Laurie Riley
and Ann Heymann have recorded on them.

I had a harp strung the way you describe, a Magical Strings Oladian. I do
*not* recommend this stringing method, as it places stress on the soundboard
(my harp burst) as well as making it near impossible to get both strings in
tune.

I'd suggest switching to ball ends or dowels.  For dowels, you wrap the
string around the dowels several turns, then fix the end to the string with
a loop - there are instructions in most of the method books.  I think Sylvia
Woods has instructions, at least for the ball end style.  I find ball ends a
little easier; again the diagrams in the books will help.  You basically
make a loop around the ball end, which is shaped rather like a donut with
raised edges.  Then you wrap the end around the string.  Let me know if this
is as unclear as it sounds; perhaps someone on one of the lists will have a
better description.

Vivien