minstrel: Wire strings?

Myra Hope Bobbitt mhbobbitt at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:03:07 PST 2001

Mistress Vivien,

Thank you for your response.

Caera is not using wooden dowels, nor ball ends, at present.

The harp-maker, whose name I forget, called the harp "Double-Strung".  (I
had never seen this before, so please forgive me if I explain something
about which you already know plenty.)  The harp is strung with one wire for
each two notes, i.e. the low C and D are comprised of the same wire.  One
end is wound around the C tuning peg, then stretched down to the sound
board, through the C grommet, up 3/4" to the D grommet, then stretched up
again to the D peg.  To tune her low C, Caera must tune the D at the same
time, because loosening one loosens the other.  Is that typical?

It sounds like the prudent choice would be that Caera switch to dowels, as
you suggest.  I'll convey your advice.

How does one affix the wire to the dowel?  Does it hold in place like a
guitar peg in the back of the soundboard?

Best,
~Leceabh