minstrel: Wire strings?

Pat Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Wed Dec 5 08:03:36 PST 2001

I'm crossposting to the scaharpers list.

If you've got a string that's breaking on a regular basis, there are a
number of possibilities.  Does the string always break in the same place,
such as near the bridge pins?  This can give you some clues.

1)  Check the gauge of the wire.  Ask the harp maker whether it might be
appropriate to drop to a lighter gauge, which will require less tension to
get the same note.
2)  Check the stringshoes, if the harp has them.  There may be a rough spot
that's abrading the string.
3)  How is the string secured?  If you're using a ball end instead of a
wooden dowel, make sure you're not bending the string in the process of
wrapping it, or anywhere in the process of changing the string.  A bent
string will break.  Make sure the wrapping is tight enough so that the
string isn't slipping and having to be retuned constantly.
4)  Are there sharping levers on the harp?  If so, check for rough spots on
them.  They'll eat right through a string.  Use of sharping levers, even
those adjusted properly, can shorten your string life.

Dave Kolacny has a book available on troubleshooting your harp.  He also
carries strings.  8-)
http://www.kolacnymusic.com/
The site is giving me a little trouble this morning - keep trying or email
him at kolacny2 at dnvr.uswest.net - this is Denver's harp repair expert.

Vivien