minstrel: Harp beginner's book

Eliza and Zoe halwyn at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 30 14:06:10 PST 2001

At 01:15 PM 30/11/01 -0800, you wrote:

>But the technique, hand position, etc. are very
>different. It's hard to replace that live teacher ...

Unfortunately the only  harp teachers I can find in Brisbane (so far) have
been the classical type.  She had never seen a harp smaller then a floor
harp - wanted me to learn on  one of hers - elbows out, wrists out.  When I
tried that on mine at home it just leans over until I grab it with my
wrist!  And THAT is how I found out that you play a small harp
differently.  I've since found web sites that backed me up on this.

As it's the hottest part of our year here in Australia I'm not thinking of
doing too much towards getting to know the SCA until the weather cools
down.  I've contacted them and spoken to them though.  We were going to go
on a camp, but I've recently had a death in the family.  The harp came in
very handy there - I had the honour of harping for my Nina during her last
week, and at her death bed.  She loved the harp, in particular "Sky Boat Song".

But I digress.

I have a site up with some (fairly simple) arrangements for harp in C,
mostly Welsh music if anyone would like to see it?  It's at
http://users.bigpond.net.au/harpsong

Elizabeth