minstrel: Wire Harpers Unite! We have nothing to lose but our nails!

Fred (Flieg) Hollander flieg at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 30 10:34:18 PST 2001

Flieg here --

At 08:49 AM 11/30/01 -0800, Joan Garner wrote:
>Any other wire types out there?  Periodically I begin
>to despair (like today, when I'm about to go drop
>another $50 at the manicurists)and give up and just
>switch to nylon.  My own nails do not grow (yes I've
>tried every helpful hint known to mankind) so I spend
>a modest fortune keep silk fakes on.

   I play a 22-string bronze-strung lap harp (Kirshner(?) -- Orion Harps)
which I love greatly for its tone and (for its size) volume. My nails grow
slowly and weak and I just make do by changing fingers if one nail happens
to be broken. (Usually happens during setup at an event or after a particularly
hard day of fighting.) By this you may judge that I don't do a lot of multi-
finger riffs.

>Rosamonde, my harp, is a Triplett 20-string cherrywood
>lap harp with amazing and wonderful tone (as long as I
>can play with nails -- no nails & I'm a silent movie.)
>
>Has anyone out there done much with using harp to
>accompany storytelling?

  Been thinking about it.  I expect that what I would do is musical interludes
between "chapters" of a tale.