minstrel: Introduction time

"J. K. Dänae Denby-Spencer" danae at webolium.com
Fri Nov 30 09:44:39 PST 2001

>My name is Elizabeth and I live in Australia.  I recently bought a celtic
>harp.  Other then that I really don't know what to say except "hello" :)

Good day, Elizabeth.  My name is Dänae Denby-Spencer and I'm a luthier, a
member of the Guild of American Luthiers. I've been monitoring this list to
try to get a handle on what's going on SCA-wise with ancient music and its
performance, because theat's the primary market for my little hobby.

For those folks having the Lute discussion, there are a number of
instruments I've been preparing for sale at SCA events and I so may have
some knowledge of use to you.

To begin with, I'm not a very "guitar-centric" luthier and actually came to
my craft through psalters, dulcimers, harps, pipes, drums and the like--in
fact, I rather resent the guitar's over-prominence in Western
music--there's so much more!  Even so, the guitar is a very popular
instrument at SCA events but suffers from looking too common and modern.  I
address this need by the construction of either lute-shaped guitars,
Citterns, Bouzouki or "English-style" guitars.  My object is to sell a
quality instrument at a fair price which can be instantly played by a
guitarist while also fitting the costume needs of the performer.  There's a
lot more folky strummers out there than classical arpeggio-masters, which
is what the discipline of the lute demands, anyway.

There is a company in Wisconsin, USA that makes a pretty decent guitar that
meets this requirement, and a certain amount of my trade comes from placing
them in the hands of SCA performers.   Their web address is :
http://www.musikit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

They also have a wonderful "baroque bass" which I should love to build one
day, were it not so over-priced.  Fortunately they sell their plans.

J. K. Danae Denby-Spencer

http://www.geocities.com/athens/atrium/6331/luthiery/siteindx.htm

"Do not meddle in the affairs of bards, for they are unsubtle, and your
name scans to
           Greensleeves"