minstrel: Introduction time

MotleySong at aol.com MotleySong at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 18:15:34 PST 2001

Grettings All!

Allow me to introduce myself as well:

I play in the SCA under the name Sancha de Flores and am a resident of the
East Kingdom (Ostgardr).  I am a member of a 4-part company of entertainers
called The Coribant Compaignye.  We style ourselves after a Late
Medieval/Renaissance band of minstrels.  Right now we are focusing on
homophonic and polyphonic vocal music, as well as "illustrated story
telling," as we call it (reciting stories with pantomimed actions).  We're
also eye-balling instrumental music, but recorders are about all our budget
will permit ;)

I have actually been spending some time lately doing some free research on
the role of entertainers in Medieval and Renaissance society.  I recently ran
across a book by William Tydeman titled _The Theatre in the Middle Ages_
which has a wonderful chapter called "The Performers."  This chapter gives
some very interesting information about entertainers ("histriones") in
period, and it provides citations from period sources and writings on
performers, performances, etc.  If you're interested in this sort of thing, I
recommend you take a look at this book.

That's it for me, pro tempore.  Cheers!

- Sancha