minstrel: Catches and Rounds (was Merry Wives of Windsor)

Fredman73 fredman73 at home.com
Sun Sep 30 11:39:07 PDT 2001

>I've been told that when playing on the spinnet you do a lot of little
trills (shake it) rather than just sustain the >note.

Glad to to hear there's at least one other late-period keyboardist out
there! :) :)  16th c. instrumental ornamentation has so many wonderful
varities of 'spicing' up a passage.  Even though ornamentation was never
written in the score, there is a great deal of evidence on the use of it in
performance.  A keyboard piece was never performed exactly as written, which
offers the performer room for extemporizing within the works.  Fascinating
stuff!  It's too bad that this crucial element of instrumental performing is
all but ignored with the majority of SCA "musicians".

Szia,

Gyula Karoli Zoltan