minstrel: hit list for merry wives of windor

Bruce Simonson Bruce_Simonson at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Sep 28 16:33:57 PDT 2001

Hello All,

I hope I'm not asking a FAQ, with this posting.

We're mounting a Merry Wives of Windsor here in Juneau, and are seeking a
few good catches and roundes to carry the action.  (The catch/round concept
is important).  I've found much Ravenscroft on the web, but I'm feeling
overwhelmed.  Rather than hoping to stumble on the diamonds, which might
known as standard chestnuts to those experienced on this list, I thought I'd
request some advice, and see what I can get.  Seems better to ask you (all)
of your favorites, and see what cream might rise to the top.

Points:

1)  topics up for grabs in the music, if you haven't read merry wives
lately:  tavern scenes, going to the heath (for a duel and also for
lovemaking), miserliness, mistaken self-importance, jealousy, and etc.

2)  As I understand it, a catch is like a round, but the text that is heard
when the lines are overlaid, can be, at times, ... ahem ..., surprisingly
salacious.

3)  Our singers are at least fair, and some excellent, with opportunities
for some instrumental accompaniment (recorders, whistles, (guitars, if
necessary), and perhaps even a hurdy gurdy).  Although the cast could
probably mount a fair madrigal type of performance, this should feel more
improvised, spontaneous, and earthy.

4)  If you've had a wonderful theatrical experience, either performing or in
the audience, with a particular tune, let me know about that too, okay?

Thanks, all.

-Bruce

What a delight to hit upon the SCA Minstrel Homepage.  I can see there's a
trove there, I'll be checking it out as I have time.

------------------------------
      Bruce P. Simonson
         GIS Manager
  City and Borough of Juneau
      155 S. Seward St.
    Juneau, Alaska  99801
------------------------------
    Voice: (907) 586-0754
    FAX:   (907) 586-3365
bruce_simonson at ci.juneau.ak.us <mailto:bruce_simonson at ci.juneau.ak.us>

---
In the aftermath of the tragic events of September 11, I want to express my
heartfelt sympathy to those who have experienced direct and personal loss.
Whether directly affected or not, my thoughts and prayers go out to all
people and their leaders, as they move forward in this difficult time.
---