minstrel: Angelus ad Virginem

katyk at umich.edu katyk at umich.edu
Sun Mar 11 11:41:01 PST 2001

The first two verses as printed in the Shorter New Oxford Book of Carols,
copyright 1993 Oxford University Press are below.  I believe the book is
still in print and not that hard to get hold of.  And it is a fun, bouncy
tune, though hard to put together with the words.

In service,
Elsa von Heilbronn

1. Angelus ad Virginem
   Subintrans in conclave,
Virginis formidinem
   Demulcens inguit: 'Ave!
Ave Regina Virginum!
Celi Terreque Dominum Concipies,
Et paries Intacta
   Salutem hominum;
Tu Porata Celi facta,
Medela Criminum.

2. 'Quomodo conciperem
   Que virum non cognvi?
Qualiter in fringerem
   Quod firma mente vovi?
'Spiritus Sancti gracia
Perficiet hec omnia
Ne timeas
Sed guadeas
Secura
Quod castimonia
   Mabebit in te pura
Dei potencia!'

1.  Gabriel, fram Heven King
   Sent to the Maide sweete,
Broute hir blisful tiding
   And fair he gan hir greete:
"Heil be thu ful of grace aright!
For Godes Son, this Heve-Light
For Mannes love
Wil man bicome
And take
Fles of thee,
Maide bright,
Manken free for to make
Of sen and devles might.'

2. Mildelich him gan andswere
   The milde Maide thanne:
'Wichewise sold ich bere
   A child withute manne?'
Th'angel hir seid:
   'Ne dred tee nout;
Thurw th'Oligast sal been iwrout
   This ilche thing
Warof tiding
   Ich bringe;
Al manken wurth ibout
   Thurw thine sweet childinge
And ut of pine ibrout.'

--On Sunday, March 11, 2001 12:41 PM -0500 Corwen Ap Broch