minstrel: Re: When was it writ?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Feb 28 14:22:00 PST 2001

> So last night on a drive home I came upon a filk for Ashgrove.  My searches
> have come up only with the unhelpful words "Traditional" and I'm trying to
> date the tune to period.  Often "Trad." means "Slightly Pre-Victorian" or
> "My Mom Sang It To Me" and is totally out.  Does anyone have a go/no go on
> its creation date?

A good place to look is Simpson's _The British Broadside Ballad And
Its Music_. Most of those Playford tunes have ballads, and then
Simpson will give you a quite exhaustive list of sources.

It so happens that I went through all of Simpson for my pre-1600
ballads page, so I know that the tune isn't pre-1600 in Simpson. I'd
look directly but I'm 2,000 miles from my library.

-- Gregory Blount