minstrel: "Tourdion" lyrics?

tibicen at mixolydian.org tibicen at mixolydian.org
Sun Feb 18 20:11:42 PST 2001

> The tune is called "Tourdion," and is apparently also known in SCA
> circles as the "seasick dance."  :)  I've found a set of lyrics on the
> net that start out:
>
> Quand je bois du vin clairet
> Ami tout tourne, tourne, tourne, tourne
> Aussi disormais je bois Anjou ou Arbois
>
> Does anyone know if these are the words sung in SCA dancing?

Not being from An Tir, I have no idea if Quand Je Bois is the tourdion
of which you speak, however,

(1) Those lyrics do indeed blong to a Tourdion (Attaignant, 1530).  It
starts:

L:1/8
||3/4 defgfe | d3 efg | agffge | f2  edc2 [...]

(2) The translation I have says the lines you quote mean: "when I
drink claret everything spins around, the same when I drink the wines
of Anjou and Arbois", which strongly suggests the "seasick dance"
theme.

(3) I am looking at a copy in the very fine "Chester Books Of
Madrigals #6 Smoking and Drinking", which transposes it up a third.

Hope that helps

-- Tibicen