Fwd: Re: minstrel: OOP: Mandolin Tuning

Corwen Ap Broch wildmanofthewoods at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 17 07:52:35 PST 2001

 COMMENTS BELOW:

> --- EoganOg at aol.com wrote:
> > In a message dated 2/16/01 9:09:19 PM Eastern Standard
> > Time,
> > mhbobbitt at hotmail.com writes:
> >
> > << Greetings, all.  Does anyone know the proper modern
> > tuning for a mandolin?
> > >>

> > GDAE, from lowest to highest.
> > Aye,
> > Eogan

Yeah thats the most prevalent tuning, being the same as a
 fiddle, but I have had a lot of fun over the years with
 alternative ones, ADAD and GDGD being very cool, and the
 bouzouki tuning GDAD quite good.

  All these have been used as fiddle tunings before
 elsewhere
 in the world, and once you have got used to the new scales
 are wonderful for playing tunes as they give you great
 possibilities for drone accompaniments, a little like
 playing
 in G/G minor or D/D minor on a normally tuned mandolin,
 only
 better!

 Among the traveller/protest community in UK GDGD has become
 the normal way to tune a mandolin, influenced by bands like
 Spacegoats, Dragonfly and Tragick Roundabout. Somehow its a
 very pagan sound.

 Have fun

 Corwen

=====
Corwen ap Broch
Stiltwalker, percussionist,penny whistle/low whistle didjeridu player. Available for gigs!
http://www.magma.ca/~citywich/corwen/
http://www.geocities.com/wildmanofthewoods/index.html
Brighter than the heavenly stars are the infinite eyes that night has opened within us. (Novalis)