minstrel: help with OE

Pat Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Thu Feb 15 08:09:25 PST 2001

Hi, Sela.  Any chance some of your p's are actually thorns?  It would be an
easy scribal error.  Any chance of posting a scan of the original?

I'll see if I can take a look at this from home, where I have my sources.
I'm afraid I haven't really looked at Anglo-Saxon in 20-odd years (some of
them odder than others) but I did have a couple of semesters worth.

And, by the way, I like the dd rendering of eth.  That makes perfect sense
to me.

Vivien
________

Sorry if this is a double posting--I sent this out about a week and a half
ago and neer saw it appear on the list...
Sela.

If anyone has time to help me with the following, I would appreciate it.
I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be a fragment of alleged song or epic
or filk or what--the last line looks as if it's just modern English
translated, but I'm in the middle of a hectic semester lecturing and my
lexicon only goes from modern English into OE, not the other way around.
I've copied thorns as th and eths as dd because I lived in Wales for too
long.  gs are as printed on what was sent me.  (Even knowing it's gibberish
would help. There seem to be too many p's to me on a casual glance.)
				Cheers, Sela.

Praetlic is thes pealstan; pyrde gebraecon,
burgstede burston, brosnadd enta gepeorc.
Hrofas sins gehrorene, hreorge torras,
hrungeat berofen, hrim on lime,
scearde scurbeorge scorene, gedorene,
Aeldo undereotone.  Eorddgrop hafadd
paldendpyrhtan, forpeorone, geleorene
heard gripe hrusan, oth hund cnea
pertheoda gepitan.  Oft thaes pag gebad,
raeghar and readfah, rice aefter othrum,
ofstondem under stormum; steap geap gedreas.