minstrel: help with OE

J.A.McGowan sela at goshawk.clara.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 04:26:12 PST 2001

Sorry if this is a double posting--I sent this out about a week and a half
ago and neer saw it appear on the list...
Sela.

If anyone has time to help me with the following, I would appreciate it.
I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be a fragment of alleged song or epic
or filk or what--the last line looks as if it's just modern English
translated, but I'm in the middle of a hectic semester lecturing and my
lexicon only goes from modern English into OE, not the other way around.
I've copied thorns as th and eths as dd because I lived in Wales for too
long.  gs are as printed on what was sent me.  (Even knowing it's gibberish
would help. There seem to be too many p's to me on a casual glance.)
				Cheers, Sela.

Praetlic is thes pealstan; pyrde gebraecon,
burgstede burston, brosnadd enta gepeorc.
Hrofas sins gehrorene, hreorge torras,
hrungeat berofen, hrim on lime,
scearde scurbeorge scorene, gedorene,
Aeldo undereotone.  Eorddgrop hafadd
paldendpyrhtan, forpeorone, geleorene
heard gripe hrusan, oth hund cnea
pertheoda gepitan.  Oft thaes pag gebad,
raeghar and readfah, rice aefter othrum,
ofstondem under stormum; steap geap gedreas.