minstrel: Question

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Feb 13 22:34:10 PST 2001

> A friend of mine from the Ansoterra/Calontir area wishes to know where she
> can find a shawm (which is apparently the medieval predecessor of the oboe).
> Any ideas?

There are a bunch of early music dealers in the US who sell basically
the same stock. I've bought expensive things (and have been happy with
the service) from both Kelischek (www.susato.com) and the Boulder
Early Music Shop (bems.com). Another popular one is the von Huene
Workshop at www.vonhuene.com. If she balks at a $600+ price tag then
she needs to look for a used instrument.

-- g