minstrel: Lap Harps

Solomon Matisoff SolomonM at asta-engineering.com
Wed Jan 17 15:16:52 PST 2001

Actually, I was talking with a few harpers who use both wire and nylon/gut.
Their solution was to reinforce their nails with epoxy for extra strength,
keep them relatively short, perhaps 3/16" beyond their fingertips, and file
down an angle on the thumb side of their hands.  (and on the finger side of
the thumbs)  They said that their wrists rotate to a different position for
wire vs. gut.  For nylon/gut the palm faces downwards, but for wire the
palms face inwards.  I don't know if the explanation makes sense, but I
could see it in action, and it worked.

Solomon

	<SNIP>