minstrel: Lap Harps

Tim Connor timcon at flash.net
Tue Jan 16 22:29:54 PST 2001

He doesn't specify in the book.  On the web site he discusses all types.
Responding to Mistress Linette:  I agree that the pictorial evidence is equivocal
at best.  I have seen a photograph (perhaps a daugerrotype) of one of the old Irish
harpers (he looked about 200 in the picture, which was taken in the mid-19th
century) very conspicuously using thumb-under technique.  And  yes, it would be
nice if A L-K included a bibliography.  But I have found that his techniques simply
work better on a small harp than does trying to use standard modern hand positions,
which probably make more sense on a large modern concert harp (not that I've ever
tried to play one).  I suspect that early harpers were simply more pragmatic about
technique than moderns, like most musicians in oral traditions.

Tadhg