minstrel: Lap Harps

C&HWood linette at epix.net
Tue Jan 16 16:07:13 PST 2001

Greetings from Linette de Gallardon!

My apologies if I don't make any sense in my reply - I'm home sick with a
cold and fever and mind-numbing medicine to boot!

At 09:17 PM 1/15/01 -0800, you wrote:
>The techniques Joseph describes are similar to those given by Andrew
>Lawrence-King
>in his book "Der Harpffenschlager" (the only book I know of on early harp
>technique).  They are very different from modern harp technique, and will
>probably
>horrify most harp teachers.  However, Lawrence-King is the preeminent
>performer of
>early music for the harp, so I'm willing to believe he knows what he's talking
>about.

I own a copy of this book, though it's out on loan, and I have to say I
have some questions.  I know that AL-K is considered a major performer of
early music, and I certainly have enjoyed listening to his music on various
CD's.  And I'm certainly not an expert in any real fashion, so my opinion
is worth just about the paper it's written on :)

IIRC, my problem with his book is that he makes sweeping claims for "how
harp was played in early music," mentioning early harp training manuals and
other period evidence, without giving any actual citations.  His
thumb-under technique is plausible as one period method, but I can find
tons of illuminations from the medieval period that show people holding
their hands on the harp in a way that is absolutely *not* consistent with
his claims.  So I don't know how to take his assertions.  I really wish he
had backed them up with specific quotes from the period manuals, which
would enable the reader to judge AL-K's research more accurately, and in
the time-frame the treatises were written in.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that the thumb-under technique was used in
early music.  I also agree that it's unlikely that medieval harpers used an
exaggerated thumb-up technique like Salzedo or other modern
techniques.  But pictorial evidence would seem to indicate that  at least
some medieval harpers used a thumb-neutral-or-even-slightly-up technique at
least some of the time.

All that said, the book is still an interesting read, and worthwhile
owning.  I think it would be especially pertinent to later-period harpers
as I suspect most of the treatises AL-K used were probably from then (wish
I had the book to remind me...).  Readers should just remember that it's OK
to look at even the supposed expert's books with a critical eye.

Linette