minstrel: Pennsic music class suggestions requested

ConstanceFairfax at cs.com ConstanceFairfax at cs.com
Mon Jan 15 09:34:03 PST 2001

Hello all....

You may remember me from such Pennsic classes as "Broadside Ballads" and
"16th Century English Secular Song"....

:)

I'm getting my class list together and (as always) am interested in any
comment (negative or positive) on any aspect of any of my classes that you
might have attended.
I am also EXTREMELY interested in hearing any requests/wishes you may have
for classes which have gone untaught.  I am happy to "farm out" the classes
if I can't teach them or if there are tooo many.....

:)
Constance Fairfax

P.S.  Here's last year's class listing:
Broadside Ballads:  A survey of 16c broadside ballads and their tunes.
Includes hints on researching and performing ballads.  YOu will learn several
ballads and receive a packet with facsimilies of period sources.  $1

Fourteenth Century France:  Chaos, Plague, War, and the Ars Nova:  A Survey
of the secular music of Guillaume de Machaut (1300-1377) and its effect upon
the war-torn and plague ravaged people of Europe.

Medieval English Secular Song:  A tour of English solo and group song from
the 13th to 15th centuries.  You will receive a song packet and learn several
songs.  Includes discussion of when, why, and how people sang plus a deeper
look at the meaning of the lyrics.

Period Vocal Style:  A "master class" in which students will work toward a
late-period vocal style.  Class is for beginning-to advanced student and
includes projection, tone, and style.

Popular 16th Century Song:  A tour of 16th century English solo song with
emphasis on the fun and bawdy.  You will receive a song packet and learn
several songs.  Discussion includes when, why, and how people sang, as well
as a deeper look at the meaning of the lyrics.
Outside of Pennsic, I teach similar classes entilted "Period songs that are
fun to sing:  Sex"  and "Period songs that are fun to sing:  Drinking".
Basically, any topic is fair game.  :)

Songwriting in Period:  An overview of 16th century music theory, discussion
of appropriate ornamentation.  Learn which poetical styles and modern
devices/cliches to avoid.