minstrel: Lap Harps

Tammy Thompson tammyt at chorus.net
Sat Jan 13 08:05:05 PST 2001

Metal strings require a different technique to play, using the
fingernails and damping.  I think the nylon stings sound like a cross
between the gut and metal, ringing on longer than gut, but not belling
as long a metal.

Many resources online, search for Sylvia Woods, a good place to start,
but gets rather predictable after a while.  Also search for any local
harp circles, I know in the Midwest, there is a Great Lakes Harp society
that has regular workshops.  There are some pretty good periodicals as
well, if you are interested, let me know I'll see what I can dig up.

Alissende