minstrel: Violin Questions

Corwen Ap Broch wildmanofthewoods at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 8 11:38:24 PST 2001

If you can't choose between a viola and a violin, why not try an octave
violin?

My friend E-coli (I kid you not) has one. He is a big beefy bloke with
hands like shovels and a regular fiddle is too, er fiddly for him.

Violas though tuned CGDA are impossible to play in a session if you
want to join in fully. He bought a viola and restrung it , losing the C
 string , moving the others dwn one and adding a fiddle A string as an
E string (I'm pretty sure thats the procedure).

Anyhow it sounds great, has a really woody sound and fits in with the
fiddle tunes.

Geoff, who owns the fiddle shop in Bournemouth England masterminded the
conversion and I am sure would be happy to hear from anyone. His number
is 01202 513823.But remember the time difference if you call!

Corwen
--- Greg Lindahl  wrote:
> > Okay, I know that the Violin as we know it is out of period, and
> that its
> > better known precursors are late period at best...
>
> Well, it's essentially in its modern form by 1580, although bows were
> a bit different back then. And the nice thing about it is that you
> can
> get a cheap one for much less than a viol da gamba or rebec or
> medieval/renaissance fiddle or what have you. So if you're limited by
> $$, a violin is a good choice.
>
> If you'd like to look at the earlier instruments, there are a bunch
> of
> early music stores that do mail order.
>
> -- Gregory Blount

> send
> mail to owner-minstrel at pbm.com

=====
Corwen ap Broch
Check out my website:
http://www.magma.ca/~citywich/corwen/
or my other one!
http://www.geocities.com/wildmanofthewoods/index.html
My ICQ # is 98102717, and I am on yahoo messenger.
Blessed be!