minstrel: Violin Questions

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Jan 8 10:14:01 PST 2001

> Okay, I know that the Violin as we know it is out of period, and that its
> better known precursors are late period at best...

Well, it's essentially in its modern form by 1580, although bows were
a bit different back then. And the nice thing about it is that you can
get a cheap one for much less than a viol da gamba or rebec or
medieval/renaissance fiddle or what have you. So if you're limited by
$$, a violin is a good choice.

If you'd like to look at the earlier instruments, there are a bunch of
early music stores that do mail order.

-- Gregory Blount