minstrel: OT: London Calling

Lisa and Ken Theriot lnktheriot at home.com
Sat Dec 16 12:33:17 PST 2000

Leucum wrote:

[Is the Brian Boru harp located at the V&A or the British Museum, or
elsewhere?  Are there other historical harps to visit?]

Sadly, unless there's more than one, the "Brian Boru Harp" is in a case in
the upstairs Library chamber of Trinity College, Dublin.  Just up the
stairs from the Book of Kells, and well worth seeing, but not exactly
convenient to London.  I actually found it rather sad; it's of necessity
sealed in a pressurized case, but if you put your ear against the glass,
you can hear the harp crying out for the feel of a hand on its wood and
fingers on its strings once again, even if it cost its life....

If I remember correctly, there was an early Anglo-Saxon lyre-type harp in
the Museum of London (which is worth going to anyway).

As far as early music events, it depends on when you'll be there and what
you like.  There are always a ton of concerts around the holidays.  I
suggest you go to www.LondonTown.com and search their events listing.

Adelaide