minstrel: translation: comments?

Jennifer Friedman jfriedmn at pressenter.com
Fri Dec 15 16:15:29 PST 2000

Hi all--I've received several requests for a melody for "Of Anne, who threw
me in the snow".  (And compliments too, which is nice!  Thanks!)
Unfortunately the particular site I found it on, The Lied and Song Text
Page at http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/ , is pretty much only for texts
(and largely later texts at that).  Looks to me like "Of Anne" was only
included because Maurice Ravel (1875-1937) set it in his "Epigrammes de
Clement Marot".  He's not the only one to do this sort of thing; I have
sung tons of Medieval/Renaissance poetry in choir in entirely modern
settings.  But I am with you in wanting to know if there's an extant period
musical setting.  If anyone is able to find one, please post to the list.

The translation doesn't seem to cry out for a melody, at least not to me,
so I wasn't planning on writing one.  But if anyone feels like doing so,
I'd love to hear it.

Eliane
who is several hours from the nearest music library, or she would dive in
and check

Lady Eliane Halevy, AoA, OC, mka Jennifer Friedman
Shire of Rokeclif, Principality of Northshield, Middle Kingdom
Bard of Rokeclif, A.S. XXXV-XXXVI
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6461/
1920 Victory St. #10, La Crosse, WI, 54601
(608) 788-8781     jfriedmn at PressEnter.com
Shire of Rokeclif webpage:  http://rokeclif.n3.net
Northshield Choir webpage:
     http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6461/nscmidis.htm