minstrel: Performing Anglo-Saxon music

Dana Hawkes danad at tidepool.com
Mon Dec 11 12:00:50 PST 2000

Here is a site with a set of lessons on speaking Old English:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401/
Here is another useful page:
http://www.engl.virginia.edu/OE/

And at Anglo-Saxon Books:
http://www.asbooks.co.uk/
You'll find some great books. I really like Stephen Pollington's books
(First Steps In Old English, and Wordcraft [Mod. Eng. to Old Eng.
dictionary]).

And if you want to have simple accompaniment, here is a page with plans for
a replica of a Saxon lyre (it's an easy project). There is also a lot of
info. there about the instrument, and how to play it.
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~priestdo/lyre.html

Also here is a link to a page with sound files of people reading Anglo-Saxon
poetry...... the link isn't working for me, but I'm hoping that it's
temporarily down.
http://www.kami.demon.co.uk/gesithas/readings/readings.html
If it doesn't work, maybe you could search for the page's new address (if it
has one) it's called 'Old English Aloud'