minstrel: German Round Lyre

nickolas kaugon ollaimh at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 15:42:37 PST 2000

it kinda depends on what you mean by a round lyre--is
this possibly a waldzither--which is a late version of
the cittern and one of the few citterns to be played
as a living tradition up to the last century?

does it have five courses of strings and ten strings
with a fretted neck--that's a waldzither. if it has
harp like strings and likely less than ten it may be a
lyre. lyres have no neck and are played like a small
harp. they have a bridge over which the strings go at
the bottom which is the main difference between them
and a harp. the harp has strings which go through the
sound board at the bottom rather than over a bridge.

so what is it and i'll tell you some more.