minstrel: Instrument Differences

nickolas kaugon ollaimh at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 12:10:38 PST 2000

the mandolin of period was likely gut strung although
the saz family was in italy in period so the tiny
soprano version, the curis--now, then i don't know,
was like around. this was six strings in doubles but
wire strings. it was however iron and not steel
strings so much  much lighter strung. it would have
sounded a lot like a very quiet mandolin, and was bowl
backed.

the only  absolutely perios mandolin i've seen or read
of was really a soprano lute, called the milanese
mandolin.

you could say that the mandolin was a cittern--it is
the descendant but not quite  spot on, but then there
are lots of guitars at events too. perhaps i'm a snob
as i have three period copy citterns. the late one
being very close to a mandola with five courses but
let me tell you the friction pegs take some practice.
i've got it down  now but at the beginning it took me
an hour to tune. metal strings jump whole octives with
only slight turning of the peg.

my late period cittern is a bell one with three sound
holes so it has a curious  tone that is a cross
between the mandola and the saz of turkish music. the
saz is by the way the granddaddy of all these metal
strung instruments and is period and they are
cheap--but they also have microtonal fretts that are
tied on.