minstrel: Instrument Differences

Tim Connor timcon at flash.net
Thu Nov 16 20:51:24 PST 2000

It is well-ploughed ground, but no one ever seems to get tired of
ploughing it
once more, so no need to apologize.  I do exclusively early period
(pre-1450)
music, so that's what I can speak to.

The mandolin is very late period, as far as I know.  However, there were
similar
instruments earlier--Timothy McGee, in his book MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE
MUSIC: A
PERFORMER'S GUIDE (highly recommended)suggests that a mandolin could be
a reasonable substitute for a
medieval cittern or citole (though it would need to be restrung, and
tuned differently).   Even a
flatback mandolin would work in this role (though a simple oval shape
would be
more convincing than, say, the Gibson Lloyd Loar model).

As for early guitars--a cuatro (restrung with nylon), vihuela, or even a
baritone ukelele would be reasonable. All can be found at reasonable
prices, evene dirt cheap in the case of the uke.

There are plenty of options for instrument substitutions, given that
truly
authentic period instruments are not really affordable for most of us.
However, I
see no need to compromise on the music itself.  If it could hold an
audience 700
years ago, it can do so today--given a good performance.  You can't just
expect
people to listen because it's authentic, though I do think there should
be an
effort by performers to educate the audience. (On the other hand,
there's also the
need for audiences to educate themselves--part of persona development
would seem
to be cultivating the tastes that one's persona would have--but that is
another
can of worms).  If people prefer to listen to filks based on modern pop
songs,
that's fine, or at least there's not much I can do about it--but I don't
have to
play the things.  There are books of early music out there--more for
later period than for the stuff I like to play (I spend a lot of time
transcribing from recordings), but it's available.  Perhaps we should
compile a list of music books to post on the A&S page.

Tadhg O Cuileannain