minstrel: Instrument Differences

Taliesin of Earthstar taliesin_o at juno.com
Thu Nov 16 04:07:32 PST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:30:54 -0500 (EST) Fred Ross <fred at horace.ls.net>
writes:
> If the mandolin you're getting for Christmas has a back and
> belly connected by sides perpendicular to them, then it's a
> style barely a hundred years old, but which has, due to
> marketing, nearly taken over in the US.  In Europe
> you don't see them much, just the round backs.

It's a "flat-back" A-style mandolin, 8 strings -- OOP, but I'm content
with that.

> As for guitars, I don't know how far back the Baroque guitar
> goes, but it may reach just into period as well.  This was a
> much smaller instrument, with a body narrower in proportion,
> and (of course) a shorter neck.

Do you know what the tuning was for it? While I don't have the money to
spend on the actual baroque guitar, it may be possible get a smaller
guitar for learning the instrument and the music.

> Believe it or not, the repertoire of Elizabethan song is as lively
> as any of the filk I've encountered, and usually a lot prettier.
> Vocalists still perform early music a lot, so good manuscripts
> and editions are (fairly) readily available.  Dowland's First,
> Second, and Third books of  Ayres and Songs are a good place
> to start.  For examples of songs that would  go over very well with
> almost any audience, listen to Emma Kirkby and Anthony
> Rooney's album 'Time Stands Still', which I recommend on purely
> musical merits as well.

Ah! I'll see if they're available, or can be ordered, in my area.

And don't get me wrong -- I love filk music, and I love the
"SCA-Contemporary" music that has been written, and so do a lot of the
people in this area. I guess I don't want to limited to a strictly modern
repetoire, but I don't know what resources are available. I'd love to see
some of the Goliardic music -- but I have no clue where it's been
published, and my local resources aren't the best.

Justin W. Eiler / Madog Hir, the "Wannabard"
taliesin_o <AT> juno.com

NO SPAM: The author of this e-mail will NEVER purchase any product
or service that is advertised in unsolicited e-mail.