minstrel: [Minstrel] Introducing myself and re instrument differences

Corwen Ap Broch wildmanofthewoods at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 15 21:54:54 PST 2000

Hello there! My name is Corwen, I've just joined the list.
I am a whistle
player/bodhran/djembe/didjeridu,pipe+tabor/mandolin/appalachian
dulcimer/bowed psaltery tinkerer and prof. busker/stiltwalker.
I'm interested in medieval music though not from a particularly purist
angle, my favourite band is Paescod for this stuff and thats the mood
of Merry England I like to try to create.

http://www.malverns.demon.co.uk/paescod/index.html

With regards to your discussion below I think the mandolin is a great
instument, but as you say not really suited for duplicating lute parts!

One thing you might try is tuning it open, ADAD is a common Bouzouki
tuning and you can find chord charts for that on the web, or GDGD is
the most common open mandolin tuning.

Then you can play the melody with a drone accompaniment that sounds
very early medieval. You can get this to some extent if you play in
Gmajor or minor with the normal GDAE tuning., the resting note is then
the G on the D string with the open G below it, work the tune out from
there.

Have fun!

Corwen
(web site URL's below if you want to know more about me!)

=====
Corwen ap Broch
Check out my website:
http://www.magma.ca/~citywich/corwen/