minstrel: Music Maker

Monica Hultin hultin at pangea.ca
Tue Nov 14 17:42:13 PST 2000

Good Gentles,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on the follwoing item.

I have noticed for the past few years in stores selling children's
educational toys an instrument called the "Music Maker".  It is trapezoidal
in shape, metal strung and meant to be plucked.  I was wondering if this
instrument could be used to approximate a plucked psaltry.

Its advantage is it is readily available in large centres, not too
expensive, (about $50 Canadian), can be used to accompany singing, and can
even be put on one's wish list for mundane relatives.  Although I am
thinking of adult use, it can be a used by children looking for an
instrument besides recorder to play at events .  I believe it did get very
good reviews from those who review children's "toys" when it first came out.

Opinions please?

Monika