minstrel: website request

Kate Akers kate at oseda.missouri.edu
Thu Nov 9 12:42:13 PST 2000

I co-maintain Cantaria at www.chivalry.com/cantaria/
We don't have very many truly period songs, but would like to increase
that number.  The hitch is that we really try to have a recording with
every song of it being sung, even if it's just the melody line.  The bards
who have offered recordings, haven't had any  of the truly
period songs to offer.

If you have recorded songs written before 1600, or would be willing to
record some for us to add to the library, twould be great!
We'd especially like to have recordings of songs from the Ravenscroft
collection and such that Gregory has so generously posted over the years.

We do have a lot of trad songs, some going back to early 17th C. and a
bunch of SCA-specific songs in the "Contemporary" section.

Most of the folks who have offered recordings are contemporary
Irish/Scottish-trad singers or Ren faire performers.. it's good stuff and
we are happy to have them, but I know it doesn't help SCA performers build
a repetoire of "period" songs.

Thanks!
-Kate

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Taliesin of Earthstar wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 07:47:43 +0000 Cynthia J Ley <cley at juno.com> writes:
> > Does anyone have any websites for folksongs that they'ld like to
> > share?
> > The more period, the better.
>
> Many of the Child Ballads listed at www.childballads.com (that address
> may be wrong) are within late Period. If the other address is wrong, see
> the links from http://www.contemplator.com/folk.html .
>
> Cantaria (www.chivalry.com/cantaria) has a few pre-1600 songs, and Joe
> Bethancourt's site (www.locksley.com) two or three.
>
> Goliardic songs can be found by searching the web for Carmina Burana --
> as long as you do something to skip Orff's name in the search. Try the
> text between the angle-brackets in your favorite search engine: ["Carmina
> Burana" NOT Orff]
>

> Justin W. Eiler / Madog Hir, the "Wannabard"
> taliesin_o <AT> juno.com
>
> NO SPAM: The author of this e-mail will NEVER purchase any product
> or service that is advertised in unsolicited e-mail.

University Outreach & Extension      |         ~~  Cantaria ~~
University of Missouri System        |
Lincoln University                   | http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria
http://outreach.missouri.edu/        |       kakers at chivalry.com