minstrel: Abelard's hymns

Lisa and Ken Theriot lnktheriot at home.com
Wed Nov 8 08:32:21 PST 2000

Found the following at: http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/hrd168.htm

Abelard: Chants for Heloise

12th-Century Chant
     Abelard: hymns and sequences for Heloise
     Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge - Mary Berry
     Herald 168

Contents:

   1.O quanta qualia (4 men)
   2.Dolorum solatium (4 men)
   3.Benedictine: Suscipe (4 men)
   4.Mater salvatoris (3 women)
   5.Ne derelinquas me (3 women)
   6.Liturgical drama: Sponsus (children, 4 men)
   7.Epithalamica (3 women)
   8.Magnus salutis gaudium (3 women)
   9.St. Bernard: Quam pium (3 men)
  10.Cistercian: Fulcite me floribus (3 women)
  11.Cistercian: Dum esset Rex (3 women)
  12.De Profundis (4 men)
  13.Lai: Samson dux fortissime (4 men)

Performers: Caroline Ashton, Ruth Holton, Olive Simpson, John Bowley, William Lee, Michael McCarthy, John
Rowlands-Pritchard, Winchester Cathedral Choristers

Playing time: 79'

Recording date: February-May 1993

Peter Abelard (1079-1142) was one of the most famous scholars, poets, composers, and personalities of the era. Though
a large volume of his writing survives, including many hymns, only a handful of his melodies have been reconstructed. In
fact, until recently this handful was only two. Now there are a few more. While Hildegard is certainly more famous to us
today (and indeed much more of her music has survived), Abelard had far more influence during his lifetime, and would
have been the better-known figure only 20 years ago. Their musical styles are broadly similar.

This recording is filled out by some other pieces of the era (genres/sources prefixed before the colon above). All of these
pieces are monophonic, though the drama is a bit more complicated in its conception.

To purchasing information for this disc

To page of FAQ citation for this disc

It's apparently available from Amazon.  I do not have this disc, so I make no comments upon its worthiness.

Adelaide