minstrel: Medieval fiddling

Tim Connor timcon at flash.net
Tue Nov 7 21:28:01 PST 2000

I don't know a whole lot about this, but that's hardly ever stopped me from saying
something...Irish tradition, y'know...

Generally, the viols and the violin family are considered cousins rather than
descendants--one book I have refers to viols as "bowed guitars."

There is a record in the accounts of the Scottish court of two "fithelaris
(fiddlers)" being paid nine shillings for performing the song "Graysteil" for
James IV in 1497.  The tune can be found in the Straloch lute book (check out the
CD "Graysteil" by Rob MacKillop and William Taylor, Dorian DIS-80141).  The
American fiddle tune "Soldier's Joy" (which I would classify as a reel) has, I
have been told by someone who is likely to know what they're talking about (but I
have no documentation) can be traced back to 10th century Scandinavia, and
probably came to the New World through Scotland.

Tadhg O Cuileannain