minstrel: English medieval music

Cynthia J Ley cley at juno.com
Thu Oct 12 00:45:40 PDT 2000

Actually, I've got this, under both titles (the one you mention below and
the original title it was issued under, AN ENGLISH SONG BOOK). The
difficulty is that it has very little solo stuff; the upside is that it
is a superb book to trace the increasing acceptance of thirds into formal
music. Plus the vast majority of the music is extremely approachable and
thus is a fine book for less experienced choral groups.

Another one to look for is Richard Hoppin's ANTHOLOGY OF MEDIEVAL MUSIC,
WW  Norton & Co., 1978, the music book which accompanies his textbook
MEDIEVAL MUSIC.

What I am really looking for are solo-type pieces 1300-1500, but short of
Byrd in Brere, there seems to be a vast wasteland. Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

				Arlys