minstrel: Troubadours/jongleurs music, instruments, CDs

Tim Connor timcon at flash.net
Tue Oct 10 16:40:34 PDT 2000

Mislav--

As someone has pointed out, troubadours and jongleurs are not quite the same
(thoughthere may have been some overlap).  The question of accompaniment is a bit
controversial--Christopher Page, whose Voices and Instruments of the Middle Ages
(University of California Press, 1986) is probably the most thorough attempt to
address this, believes that much troubadour song (what he calls the "high style")
was unaccompanied.  I think he draws too strong a conclusion from mostly negative
evidence, and is too dismissive of the evidence for acompaniment, but he's an
expert and I'm not.  The alternative view, in an article by Joel Cohen, can be
found at http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/articles/troubadours.and.instruments.html

You might also check out http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/  for more information and
links.

In any case, the instrument that seems most strongly associated with the
troubadours is the vielle, though jongleurs used all kinds of instruments and Page
discusses many of these.

CDs I like that include at least some troubadour songs:

THE COURTS OF LOVE; Sinfonye; Hyperion CDA66367
BELLA DOMNA; Sinfonye; Hyperion CDA66283
DANTE AND THE TROUBADOURS; Sequentia; Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 05472-77227-2
LOVE SONGS OF THE MIDDLE AGES; Sequentia; Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 05472-77607-2
LE JEU D'AMOUR; Anne Azema; Erato 0630-17072-2
CHANTERAI; Sonus; Dorian DIS-80123
SONGS AND DANCES OF THE MIDDLE AGES; Sonus; Dorian DIS-80109

Some of these may still be available from BMG Classical Music Service, which is
where I got some of them (they have a web site--I'm afraid I don't have the
address handy).

Regards,

Tim