minstrel: The oral Tradition

Michael Batory mbator01 at bcuc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 4 08:18:34 PDT 2000

Hello,

As part of my research at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College,
I am looking at the oral tradition as it exists in contemporary folk
music, whatever that is, and I am tracing the progress since 1986 of a
song entitled
" The Last of the Great Whales" also known as " The Last Leviathan"
[Andy Barnes: (c)1986 - Friendly Overtures]

I am pretty well up on the available recordings and accordingly, the
changes to lyrics and arrangement that have taken place. However tracing
performances and thus, the song's geographical and musical progress is
much more difficult.

I do appreciate that this song may not fall within the repertoire
considered by the Bardic Circles but if anybody does know of a performer
or performance of this song, or indeed of a recording ( I may not know
them all), I should be grateful for as much detail, name of performer,
date of performance, venue, label etc etc) as you have time to give.

Also, a second request. I am trying to find the words of two songs. One
an old song from the Dome region of France, entitled Le Mai de Clerieux
and the other, newer,  from the Basque region of Spain entitled
Nafarroa. Can anyone help please?

Hoping to hear something in due course.

Michael Batory
Course Leader, Music,
Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College.