minstrel: Re: Gyldenholt Bardic Update

Jennifer Friedman jfriedmn at pressenter.com
Mon Oct 2 12:29:51 PDT 2000

Might I make a request?  Those of us who have not memorized all parts of
the Knowne Worlde (it's period to know only your own kingdom, is it not?)
might like to see mundane place names in invitations to Bardic Circles and
other gatherings sent on this list.  I am completely ignorant of where
Gyldenholt is, who Shan D'er and Morffedd are, and where House Sterling and
Great Western War will be (though I have to say Roddie the Piper is a GREAT
name!).  Certainly I could do some Internet searches and find out all I
could want to know about these things, but by the time I discovered the
whole thing is 3,000 miles away from me, I would already have wasted quite
a bit of time.

If you say right away that Gyldenholt is mundanely Orange County, CA then
a) I can start planning to come or not to come, knowing for sure that it is
or isn't too far away, and b) I feel welcomed as an outsider, knowing that
the message WAS aimed at me, since you include details that insiders would
already know (such as mundane location)...

I am more or less familiar with every Shire and Barony in my own
Principality, but I am also under an hour from not just out-of-Principality
but out-of-Kingdom (Calontir), and so it is conceivable to me that when I
see an unfamiliar place name, it might not be too far away.  So please, for
all of us who would not mind getting to know nearby strangers, kindly
include ALL the relevant details when you post an invitation here.  It will
make us all feel more welcome.

Eliane

>Greetings good gentles,
>
>The Gyldenholt Bardic Circle shall be held on October 13, 7:30 PM, at the
>home of our noble members Lord Shan D'er, and Lady Morffedd.  They will send
>a follow-up mail with directions and specifice for the gather.  My thanks in
>advance for opening your (new) home.

<snip>
Lady Eliane Halevy, AoA, OC, mka Jennifer Friedman
Shire of Rokeclif, Principality of Northshield, Middle Kingdom
Bard of Rokeclif, A.S. XXXV-XXXVI
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6461/
1920 Victory St. #10, La Crosse, WI, 54601
(608) 788-8781     jfriedmn at pressenter.com
Shire of Rokeclif webpage:  http://rokeclif.n3.net
Northshield Choir webpage:
     http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6461/nscmidis.htm