minstrel: Lullabyes

Patricia Yarrow yarrowp at mscd.edu
Thu Sep 28 08:12:25 PDT 2000

Anna MacKenzie wrote:
<<Traditional and folk song sources are just fine too, as I tend to collect
post-period songs, as well as SCA-specific/written pieces.>>

In that case, may I very highly recommend the works of Mairi nighean Alisdair
Ruadh, who *may* have been born in 1576?  She was a nurse to the MacLeods and
composed many lullabyes for them until she was banished for singing the
children's praises too lavishly.  (There was a belief that the fairies would
steal away a child who was too perfect.)  There are also many traditional
Scottish lullabyes such as the Seaforth Lullabye (Theid mi dhachaigh Chro
Chin-Tsaile) that would be appropriate.

I'd suggest some recordings:

                     The World Sings Goodnight  and
                     The World Sings Goodnight 2

                     Lullaby: A Collection

Til Their Eyes Shine - The Lullaby Album

Celtic Lullaby

Celtic Twilight 3: Lullabies

These are all compilations by various artists.  You can find further details
at Amazon if you don't find them in the World Music section of your local
record store.

Vivien