minstrel: Greek or Phrygian Aulos

Dana Hawkes danad at tidepool.com
Mon Sep 11 13:56:48 PDT 2000

I connected a plastic recorder to a tin whistle (in D) using a piece of
metal and a bunch of epoxy. It may not look very nice (or like any type of
authentic instrument), but it sounds good. I've tried playing two simple
melodies at once, but mostly I tune the drone (tin whistle) by blocking
holes with electrical tape, and play simple melodies on the recorder.

> Hello i'm new to the list but have been lurking... I know its a little
more
> ancient than subjects normally discussed here, but i was sure someone
could
> help me track down references to the ancient greek double flute, called
the
> aulos? It appears to be two pipes played simultaneously (one in each hand,
> both in mouth, spread sideways, so it looks like the 2 long sides of a
> triangle, if that makes sense). It was associated with the oracle at
Delphi