minstrel: Drinking Songs for Women

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Sep 11 10:04:14 PDT 2000

> ... And if the naval victory referenced was in the 30s, the song must have
> been written later still.  Rats.

Yes, _IF_ the tune was written for that first use, and wasn't older.
That we'll probably never know. Unfortunately the publishing of music
had a big upswing in the first half of the 17th century... and not earlier.

> The one reference I have for the tune was second-hand, indicating that it
> came from John Playford's Dancing Master.  The collection was described as
> "just barely post-period".

Playford's _Dancing Master_ dates from 1651 and contains many tunes
with words, a few of which are known to date from before 1600. If you
look at my ballad music list, you'll see a few:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

All in a Garden Green
Dargason
Heart's Ease is a NAME used by Playford but the pre-1600 song using
   that name is different
Millfield
Pepper is Black is called for by name in pre-1600 broadside ballads,
   but the tune isn't written down until Playford
Row Well Ye Mariners similar to Pepper is Black
Sellinger's Round
Shaking of the Sheets is similarly used as a name in Playford, but the
    music in Ballet's lute book is different
Trenchmore (2nd edition of Playford, 1652)

-- Gregory Blount