minstrel: Drinking Songs for Women

MH Bobbitt anwr22 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:51:10 PDT 2000

>>A few weeks ago a call went out for period drinking songs that might be
>>sung by women.  I've written one, to the tune of "The Jolly Broome Man",
>>which
>>went over quite well at last weekend's Harper's Retreat.  It is not
>>appropriate for young viewers.

>One unfortunate feature about the tune to Jolly Broome Man is that the
>first references to it call it "Jamaica" in honor of a naval victory
>that was in the 1630's. But at least that's damn close to 1600...

>-- Gregory Blount

... And if the naval victory referenced was in the 30s, the song must have
been written later still.  Rats.

The one reference I have for the tune was second-hand, indicating that it
came from John Playford's Dancing Master.  The collection was described as
"just barely post-period".

Thanks for the note -- I'll keep digging!

~Leucum