minstrel: Greek or Phrygian Aulos

Blue barddance at crosswinds.net
Sun Sep 10 19:11:50 PDT 2000

Hello i'm new to the list but have been lurking... I know its a little more
ancient than subjects normally discussed here, but i was sure someone could
help me track down references to the ancient greek double flute, called the
aulos? It appears to be two pipes played simultaneously (one in each hand,
both in mouth, spread sideways, so it looks like the 2 long sides of a
triangle, if that makes sense). It was associated with the oracle at Delphi
amongst other things, and there is a Phrygian version.

I'd be interested to know if anyone knows of a later equivalent, of anyone
who plays such an instrument or even makes them? Also, is there any history
of a double flute or similar from a later period - most of the early greek
instruments have survived in one form or another, did the aulos develop in
its 2 pipe form?

Any ideas would be most welcome, thanks :)

Blue

--
Life, love, music & laughter.
spiralblue at crosswinds.net / barddance at crosswinds.net