minstrel: ap Huw translations

hrjones at socrates.Berkeley.EDU hrjones at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 16 10:09:14 PDT 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Solomon Matisoff wrote:

> I was looking at the website (A quick doff o' the hat to Master Gregory)
> and would love to attempt some of these pieces but I don't know how to
> read the old style of music writing.  (I must admit that I skimmed
> through the pages; I don't have the world's fastest connection.  Were
> there pieces that I missed in modern notation?)
>
> Does anyone know of a direct translation of the notation into modern
> "dots?"  I'd love to work on some earlier pieces.  As the harp was more

One of the things to keep in mind is that the precise meaning of many of
the aspects of the notation is still debated (and may be un-knowable).  So
any transcription into modern notation will necessarily involve adding
aspects of interpretation that weren't present in the original -- and
different transcribers may well come up with different results.  With that
said, Claire Polin's edition of the work (published by the Institute of
Mediaeval Music, Ltd., 1982) contains modern-style transciptions of all
the pieces.  But ideally they should be attempted after you've read the
text, so those decisions can be put in context.

Tangwystyl

Heather Rose Jones         hrjones at socrates.berkeley.edu