minstrel: Robert ap Huw

MH Bobbitt anwr22 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:22:01 PDT 2000

I've recently come across a recording of Robert ap Huw for the harp.  It's
inspiring stuff!  It's rich, loud, and exciting music for the traditionally
tinkly harp.

First question:  What's the conventional wisdom -- is RAH period?  Could we
sneak it in to an enchanted circle assuming the music was documented at
least three years after it was played?  One could argue that since the
recordings are modern interpretations of a sorta-period cryptic manuscript
of playing styles, performed transcriptions of those recordings are wild
guesses in the first place and therefore inappropriate.

Second question:  if it IS period, is this music already "done"?  Would any
of you cringe if you heard a Huw Gosteg opening a Bardic Circle?

Tangwystyl mentioned in an earlier post that there really isn't much period
material available for Welsh harpers.  What other sources have folks found?

I appeal to your collective wisdom.

Respectfully,

-- Leucum merch Ouein