minstrel: Douce Dame/Ja Nuns Hons Pris

Donald F. Harrington dharrington at uswest.net
Wed Jun 28 11:42:29 PDT 2000

Yes, Douce Dame Jolie is just good music.  It's bouncy yet exotic,
rhythmically interesting, very accessible to modern ears, and lends itself
well to solo or group efforts.  I've heard it on a number of albums of early
music, so I know the scholars appreciate it.  When I play or hear this tune,
I feel transported to another time and place much more vividly than if I
were listening to another Irish folk tune (and I _love_ Irish folk tunes,
don't get me wrong - they just don't "link" me to the Middle Ages like
Machaut does).

Lazarus Artifex
Don Harrington