minstrel: Re: minstrel-digest V1 #884

Paula bookwyrm at ureach.com
Fri Apr 21 23:06:59 PDT 2000

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl at pbm.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:13:47 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: minstrel: new topic/psaltry
>
> > Do we know anything useful about the historic playing style
of
> hammered
> > dulcimers?  To me, the modern playing style strikes me as
being fairly
> > "evolved" and specialized
>
> Nothing is known. One technique you mention is bouncing the
hammers; I
> avoid it mainly because it screams "modern" to me too. Another
issue
> is style of arrangement; if you hand a modern dulcimer player
> pre-1600 melody, their instinct is to stick it over
arpeggiated chords.

> There are very few instruments for which pre-1600 instruction
manuals
> exist.
>
> - -- Gregory Blount

Do you two know that bouncing the hammers is a modern only
technique or is that an assumption?  The reason I ask, is that
I've ony been playing the hammered dulcimer a couple of months
and one of the things I've had to learn is how not to bounce the
hammers. Bouncing the hammers just happens if you hold the
hammers just a little bit too loose. It is difficult for me to
believe that an effect that is so easy to stumble across, but
sounds pretty is only a modern technique. Perhaps it wasn't an
established technique (assuming we have a way of knowing this),
but surely someone else in history has had a natural tendency to
hold their hammers too loosely rather than too tightly (like the
rest of the class).

As far as the arpeggios go, its not surprising that a modern
player without a music history background would not know that
thirds and fifths were dissonants in the Middle Ages, especially
since many hammered dulcimers players play by ear and don't read
music. Would you consider all arpeggios accompliments modern? Or
, in your view, would putting a root, fourth, and sixth (or
octave) under the melody be period?  I was wondering about this,
because I learning arppegio accompliments now (for the non-SCA
music).

Peace,
Paula