minstrel: Re: minstrel-digest V1 #882

Vanessa Layne dagoura at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 21 19:40:50 PDT 2000

> According to Musica Antiqua, the triangular psaltery is period:
> "Southern Europe, influenced by Moorish Spain, prefered the
> trapezoidal psaltry with three or four strings to a note. Northern
> psalteries tended to be triangular or wing-shaped and single or
> double-strung."

This is interesting (especially about the single vs. multiply strung!)
but this does not tell us if they were bowed or plucked, which was the
original question.  That it is triangular doesn't give us enough to
tell.

It raises another tangential question, for the bowed string players
out there: are bowed instruments ever multiply strung (i.e. more
than one string per course)?  I'm not talking about sympathetic
strings which are not touched by the bow or drone strings which are
not fingered, but actually pairs (or more) of strings to be treated as
one?

-- Tibicen (not a string player)